As we work through the COVID-19 concerns our referrals have been temporarily suspended. We will not be providing any intake or orientation services as this time. If you feel unwell or are in crisis, please call COAST Hamilton (Crisis Outreach and Support Team) 905-972-8338.
Current clients are encouraged to continue their care through the use of a virtual visit or phone call.
Contact us at 905-522-1155 ext. 31725 to make arrangements.
If you are a friend, family member, or support person of a young person experiencing mental health difficulties, it is never too early to #ReachOut.
At the Youth Wellness Centre, we see family as “collaborators” and want to work with you to support your family member who has accessed services.
Research tells us that when family members are involved in the early intervention, treatment and recovery process, the youth’s long-term outcomes significantly improve. We also see less disengagement and drop-out from services. Additionally, family involvement has numerous outcomes for the family, such as: experiencing less stress and disruption, being better able to cope with the youth’s illness and feeling more empowered to support their loved one!
At the YWC, a family member refers to anyone the youth deems as “family”! This could include: parents, siblings, partner, friend, roommate etc…
Types of Support Families Can Receive at the YWC
- Education and information about mental health and addictions
- Skills and strategies to help support your loved one
- Family Psychoeducation group
- Information about supports and services available in the community
- Communication skills and problem-solving
- Safety and crisis planning. If you or your family member are in crisis, please contact COAST for Crisis Support.
- A safe, non-judgmental space to talk and share
Please contact me if you are interested in learning more about how I can support you.